Application to Move Your Liquor Licence to another Premises
Your time is precious to us, so we’ve given you all the basic answers you want to know below – the When, Who, Which, How and What. Easy to understand and quick to read.
You will have questions, so please Contact Us and we’ll be glad to help. Join many other satisfied members and clients.
The 3 Important Stages when Moving a Liquor Licence to another premises :
- BEFORE : A Liquor Licence Compliance Audit must be done to ensure the licence documents and licensed premises
comply to the Liquor Act – as the licence documents must be included with the application.
- DURING : The process must be managed in a professional way to ensure approval of the licence transfer applications
- AFTER : The licence holder must ensure the liquor licence remains valid, by renewing the liquor licence each year.
When must a liquor licence be moved?
After approval of the application to move a liquor licence, the licence can be moved over to the other premises.
Who must apply to have a liquor licence moved to another premises?
The current holder of the liquor licence must apply to move the licence to another premises.
How to apply to have a liquor licence moved to another premises?
The process of moving a liquor licence to another premises is nearly identical to an application for a new liquor licence. The process can be described as follows :
- Complete the prescribed, formal applications to move the liquor licence;
- Draft the required annexures with information which is important and relevant
- Collect the supporting documents specified by the Liquor Act;
- Submit the liquor licence transfer applications to the Liquor Board, Local Authority and Designated Liquor Officer (“DLO”).
- The application will be advertised in the appropriate government gazette on a Friday and in a local newspaper (not in Limpopo or North West province)
- The public will have a 30 days from the date of publication of the notice of the application to submit any comments.
- The DLO will submit a report to the Liquor Board within 7 days after the closing date for public comments
- The Liquor Board will approve the application to move the liquor licence if –
- All the required documents have been submitted, and
- It is satisfied that the new premises complies to the Liquor Act and applicable guidelines.
What happens after approval of the application to move the liquor licence?
The Liquor Board will inform the applicant in writing of the approval;
- The applicant has 60 days to pay the fee to the Liquor Board to allow them to issue the liquor licence
- The new liquor licence will be issued and delivered to the new licence holder on payment of the licence issuing fee.
What should you do while waiting for approval of the application to move a liquor licence?
You may continue to sell liquor on the existing, licensed premises, as long as you have legal occupation of the premises. You may move the licence to the new premises as soon the new liquor licence has been issued, after approval of your application.
The Licence Co (Liquorwise division)
The Licence Co are liquor licence experts, doing this successfully for more than 15 years. Trust us to ensure that the applications for the transfer of your liquor licence will be handled in a professional way.