Application for a Sport Bar or Pub Liquor Licence
Choose below to read all the Basic Liquor Licence Information (A) you need to know OR More Liquor Licence Information (B) for a more in depth look about a liquor licence for a sportsbar / pub / tavern.
A. BASIC LIQUOR LICENCE INFORMATION ABOUT A SPORT BAR OR PUB
- HOW TO APPLY FOR A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR LICENCE
- HOW TO RENEW A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE = KEEP GENERATING INCOME
- HOW TO BUY OR SELL A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE TRANSFER
- COST OF A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE
- LIQUOR TRADING HOURS OF A SPORT BAR OR PUB
- LIQUOR LICENCE TRAINING SPORT BAR OR PUB STAFF
HOW TO GET A LIQUOR LICENCE FOR A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE
You must submit a comprehensive, written application to the Liquor Board, Liquor Officer and Local Authority (Municipality) of the province in which your premises is located. You will have to include information, zoning documents, photos and detailed plans of your proposed Sport Bar or Pub. It is very important to make sure the licensing authorities can see what you have in mind. This means showing that there is a demand from the public for a licensed Sport Bar or Pub in the area you have in mind. They can only visualize your Sport Bar or Pub if your application is professional, detailed and accurate. If you fail to do this, your application will be postponed or refused. Read more on the Sport Bar or Pub licence application process below.
HOW TO RENEW A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE
Once you have your Sport Bar or Pub licence, you need to do everything you can to keep it valid. You keep it valid by renewing it every 12 months. Please go to the “Licence Renewal Section” for all the information you’ll need to ensure your licence remains valid and will keep on generating a profit.
HOW TO BUY OR SELL A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE TRANSFER
Buying a licensed Sport Bar or Pub means you don’t have to apply for a new Sport Bar or Pub licence. You can carry on selling liquor without any interruption to your business - while the Sport Bar or Pub’s liquor licence is being transferred to you. However, you’ll have to check the very important items below. It is especially important to check the licensing documents, because without a valid liquor licence, the buyer won’t be able to sell any liquor. The important items to check are :
- Agreement of Sale – The wording of the liquor licence clause is extremely important. Ask us to avoid costly mistakes.
- Licence documents – Is the original liquor licence available?
- Licence renewal – Has the licence been renewed correctly every year? Is the proof of payment on file?
- Liquor licence compliance audit – Has this been done? Are you sure all licensing documents are complete, available on file and up to date? If not – you can lose your investment. Contact us to do a compliance check – you need liquor licence experts to help protect your new asset.
COSTS TO APPLY FOR A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE
The cost to GET and KEEP a Sport Bar or Pub liquor licence are as follows :
- Cost to get a Sport Bar or Pub licence
- Liquor Board Fees - You'll have to pay them the following fees :
- Application Fee - to accept your application
- Licence issuing fee - to issue your licence
- Liquor licence consultant's fee
- Liquor Board Fees - You'll have to pay them the following fees :
- Cost to keep a Sport Bar or Pub licence valid
- Licence renewal fee - payable every 12 months,
- Penalties / Fines - payable if you paid late or failed to enforce the licence conditions
SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR TRADING HOURS
Liquor trading hours are different for most Sport Bar or Pubs, because each province and/or Municipality decides on its own liquor trading hours. For example - A Sport Bar or Pub in Durban (KwaZulu Natal province) may trade until 02h00, but in Port Elizabeth (Eastern Cape province) only until 01h00. To show how complicated it can be –
- Liquor trading hours may even differ for different areas in the same Municipality!
- You can apply to have your Sport Bar or Pub’s trading hours extended.
You therefore need to be up to speed with the liquor trading hours for your Sport Bar or Pub at all times. If not, chances are good that you’ll be fined, have to pay penalties or even lose your business.
Contact Us if you want to know the liquor trading hours for your area. Even better – subscribe to our free newsletter and you’ll be updated on import liquor licensing matters.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LIQUOR LICENCE FOR SPORT BAR OR PUB AND A RESTAURANT?
Liquor Fact - Sport Bar or Pubs mainly focus on selling liquor and providing entertainment, while restaurants mainly focus on selling food.
LIQUOR LICENCE TRAINING SPORT BAR OR PUB STAFF
Sport Bar or Pub staff need to be trained to be aware of the limits of customers' behaviour allowed by the liquor licence conditions. They must also be aware of their own liquor licence boundaries. For instance - a barman in a sport bar is should be alert, quick, skillful and entertaining. Clients love a bit of a show when drinks are mixed and tip accordingly. A Barman will also be responsible to enforce the conditions of the liquor licence. This means preventing clients from drinking too much, not serving minors and generally making sure no one becomes a nuisance and spoil the experience for others.
B. WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR LICENCE?
- WHY IS A LIQUOR LICENCE IMPORTANT FOR A SPORT BAR OR PUB?
- WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR LICENCE?
- DIFFERENT KINDS OF SPORT BAR OR PUBS
- ENTERTAINMENT - THAT WANT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT!
- TARGET MARKET?
- INCOME GENERATOR
- RUNNING COST OF A SPORT BAR OR PUB
- COST OF BUYING & SELLING A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
- LICENCE COMPLIANCE AUDIT – NON NEGOTIABLE
WHY IS A LIQUOR LICENCE IMPORTANT FOR A SPORT BAR OR PUB?
It is important for 2 main reasons –
- Revenue – Sales from liquor is the main source of income for Sport Bar or Pubs.
- Convenience - Sport Bar or Pub clients want the convenience of enjoying liquor of their choice while being entertained.
- It opens up additional income generating avenues, such as a gambling licence.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR LICENCE?
You can -
- sell all kinds of liquor in a Sport Bar or Pub directly to the public. It is an on consumption liquor licence, which means that your customers have to drink it in the Sport Bar or Pub. Customers can’t take it away with them and enjoy elsewhere.
- apply for a gambling licence.
Liquor Fact - This can double the income from your Sport Bar or Pub.
DIFFERENT KINDS OF SPORT BAR OR PUBS
Sport Bar or Pubs can be found just about anywhere and in all sizes. The basic choices really depend on your own likes and dislikes. The 2 main factors you’ve got to decide upon are : :
- What kind of owner would you like to be?
- franchise Sport Bar or Pub, such as Shoprite, Spar, Pick ‘n Pay, OK Grocer and many more, or an
- independently owned Sport Bar or Pub
- Where do you see your Sport Bar or Pub located?
- Stand alone – your Sport Bar or Pub is contained on its own property, not connected to other shops.
- Shopping centre – as part of a large mix of other businesses
ENTERTAINMENT - THAT'S WANT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT!
Customers of sport bars are – surprise – sport fans. Apart from wanting to be able to watch sport & music events on multiple screens wherever they may be seated, they also want to be entertained while they socialize with friends or family. Entertainment typically offered includes -
- gambling machines (LPM's - Limited Payout Machines)
- live sport on tv
- pool/ billiards,
- pin ball machines,
- arcade games,
- one man shows
- board games and more.
A Sport Bar or Pub liquor licence will usually contain specific conditions for each form of entertainment – when the licence application is approved. An example of a licence condition may be a limit on the number of devices (ie gambling machines) which may be used.
SPORT BAR OR PUB TARGET MARKET
The main target market of a Sport Bar or Pub mainly consist of a younger generation – usually 20 – 40 yrs. The choice of entertainment will depend on the target market of the sport bar (see Entertainment above) The legal drinking age will be one of the conditions of a sport bar liquor licence.
A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE AS AN INCOME GENERATOR
Liquor sales is the most important income generator for sport bars, being it’s main product. However, it is often forgotten that a liquor licence also generates income from -
- the sale of food and
- gambling machines.
This means the liquor licence of a Sport Bar or Pub is definitely its most important asset - even more so for Sport Bars or Pubs with a gambling licence. Without a liquor licence, it isn't possible to get a gambling licence. It's important to remember that to maximise income for a Sport Bar or Pub, the food and liquor need to complement each other. If the food on offer isn’t on par with that offered by rival restaurants, customers will leave to dine elsewhere. To discuss additional licensing options for your Sport Bar or Pub, such as a gambling licence or business licence, Contact Us today!
RUNNING COST OF A SPORT BAR OR PUB LIQUOR SECTION
The running cost of a liquor section of a Sport Bar or Pub is very affordable. It would usually generate more income per square metre of floor space than many other products in the Sport Bar or Pub.
COST OF BUYING A SPORT BAR OR PUB LICENCE
The Sport Bar or Pub licence forms part of the Sport Bar or Pub business. Therefore, a part of the purchase price of a Sport Bar or Pub will be allocated to the Sport Bar or Pub liquor licence. The amount will depend on the income generated by the liquor section in relation to the total income of the Sport Bar or Pub.
Contact Us - if you are interested in buying or selling a Sport Bar or Pub with a liquor licence. We’ll refer you to reputable business broker in your area.
LICENCE COMPLIANCE AUDIT – NON NEGOTIABLE
If you already own a Sport Bar or Pub with a liquor section or are thinking about buying or selling one – you should have a Licence Compliance Audit done. Why? It is vital to ensure that the liquor licence remains valid and that all licensing documents are in place. Liquor laws and inspection checklists change all the time – which means you need to be up to date. Failing to do so, may not only lose you the income you bargained for, but may result in fines and penalties! Talk to Us for a licence compliance audit – you’ll never regret it!