Application for a Function Liquor Licence
Event Liquor Licence for your Function (also called a Special Event Liquor Licence or Permit)
Your excited about your upcoming Function and want your customers to have a drink of their choice while enjoying the function. You know you need a liquor licence and want to be legal. You don’t want to risk your good name by getting fined or running into any problems with the Liquor Authorities.
You need to know the basics below. For anything else – Contact Us and we’ll help you.
What qualifies as an “Event”?
Events include any of the following - a fundraising event in aid of an educational or welfare organisation, an exhibition, cultural gathering, artistic performance, sports meeting or function;
Which events don’t need a liquor licence?
Any event where liquor isn’t sold doesn’t need a liquor licence. So, if you have a birthday party, braai, wedding or family reunion and you don’t sell liquor, you don’t need a liquor licence.
Who must apply for an event liquor licence?
The rule of thumb is – whoever is in charge of the event. This includes the following persons :
- the organiser of an exhibition, music festival;
- the secretary, manager or chief steward of a bona fide race or sports meeting
- the organiser of an artistic performance
How do you apply for an Event Liquor Licence or Permit?
NB - The application process and application periods are different for each province. You’ll have to make very sure you follow the correct procedure for your event.
The application process
- Period – 14 to 42 days before the day of the event.
- Forms - Complete the prescribed, formal application forms
- Annexures - Draft the required annexures with relevant information
- Supporting documents – Collect them as required by the Liquor Act;
- Submit the liquor licence applications to the Liquor Board and Designated Liquor Officer (“DLO”).
- The DLO will submit a report to the Liquor Board
- The Liquor Board will approve the licence transfer applications if –
- All the required documents have been submitted,
- Application fees have been paid, and
- It is satisfied that the –
- Event qualifies (no objections, negative reports, etc)
- Applicant qualifies (good character, etc), and
What happens after approval of the event liquor licence?
The Liquor Board will inform the applicant in writing that–
- The application has been approved;
- The period for payment of the licence fee.
The event liquor licence will be issued and delivered to the applicant on payment of the licence issuing fee.
What should you do while waiting for approval of the application for your event liquor licence?
- You carry on with the planning of all the other operational matters.
- You can buy liquor in anticipation of receiving the event liquor licence
- You can place a provisional order with a liquor supplier
Contact Us – we submit applications for events on a national basis.