Application for an Online Liquor Store Licence
Before you scroll down, consider this - Can you think of any online liquor store which has closed permanently? No? This gives you some idea of the value, potential and permanency of a online liquor store liquor licence. It’s worthwhile persevering to get a online liquor store licence and to hold onto your online liquor store licence once you have it.
A. BASIC INFORMATION ON A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
- HOW TO APPLY (GET) A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE APPLICATION
- HOW TO RENEW (KEEP) A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = YEARLY RENEWAL
- HOW TO BUY OR SELL A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE TRANSFER
- COST OF A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
- ONLINE LIQUOR STORE TRADING HOURS
HOW TO GET A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE APPLICATION
You must submit a comprehensive, written application to the Liquor Board, Liquor Officer and Local Authority (Municipality) of the province in which your premises is located. You will have to include information, zoning documents, photos and detailed plans of your proposed online liquor store. You need to show the licensing authorities what you have in mind. This means proving that there is a demand from the public for a online liquor store in the area. They can only visualize your online liquor store if your application is professional, detailed and accurate. If not, your application will be postponed or refused. Read more on the online liquor store licence application process below.
HOW TO KEEP A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = YEARLY RENEWAL
Once you have your online liquor store licence, you need to do everything you can to keep it valid. You do this by renewing it every 12 months. Please go to the “Licence Renewal Section” for all the information you’ll need to ensure your licence remains valid and keeps on generating a profit.
HOW TO BUY OR SELL A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE = LIQUOR LICENCE TRANSFER
Buying a licensed online liquor store allows you to use the existing liquor licence to trade. You don’t have to apply for a new online liquor store licence. You continue selling liquor without any interruption while the online liquor store’s liquor licence is being transferred to you.
However, it is absolutely vital to safeguard your investment by checking that the licence documents are valid and up to date. Don't run the risk of being stopped by liquor authorities for trading with an invalid liquor licence. Do a licence compliance check - it's like having your dentist fix the small holes to avoid the root canal treatment! The most important items to check are :
- Agreement of Sale – The correct wording of the liquor licence clause is very important
- Licence documents – Is the original liquor licence, conditions and floor plan available?
- Licence renewal – Is the proof of payment of the yearly liquor licence renewal fee on file?
- Premises - Does the premises comply to liquor laws and regulation?
FREE Liquor licence compliance check :
- Has this been done? Are you sure all licensing documents are complete, available on file and up to date? Don’t take any chances or you may lose your investment.
- Upload any of these documents and we will do a compliance check - free of charge (Normal value = R3000).
ORDER licence documents :
- You can order any licensing documents you want from us, such as a original licence replacement or floor plan.
- Place your order and we'll be in touch.
COST OF A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
The cost structure of a online liquor store licence is quite simple. It costs can be described as follows :
- Cost to get a online liquor store licence
- Liquor Board Fees - You'll have to them the following fees :
- Application Fee - to accept your application
- Licence issuing fee - to issue your licence
- Liquor licence consultant's fee
- Liquor Board Fees - You'll have to them the following fees :
- Cost to keep a online liquor store licence valid
- Licence renewal fee - payable every 12 months,
- Penalties / Fines - payable if you paid late or failed to enforce the licence conditions
ONLINE LIQUOR STORE TRADING HOURS
Online liquor store trading hours are different for each province and/or Municipality. Each province and/or Municipality decide on its own liquor trading hours. For example - A online liquor store in Rustenburg (North West province) may trade until 20h00, but in Bloemfontein (Free State province) only until 19h00. This can become quite complicated, for instance :
- Liquor trading hours may even differ for different areas in the same Municipality!
- Extended liquor trading hours. You can apply to have a online liquor store’s trading hours extended in some areas. So, 2 online liquor stores can be next to each other, but have different trading hours if one of them successfully applied to extend its liquor trading hours.
NB - A online liquor store owner needs to know the liquor trading hours for online liquor stores at all times. If not, chances are good to get fined or having to pay penalties or - even lose the business.
Contact Us if you want to know the liquor trading hours for your area. Even better – subscribe to our free newsletter and you’ll be updated on import liquor licensing matters.
B. WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ONLINE LIQUOR STORES?
- WHY IS A LIQUOR LICENCE IMPORTANT FOR LIQUOR / BOTTLE STORE?
- WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE?
- DIFFERENT KINDS OF ONLINE LIQUOR STORES
- TARGET MARKET
- INCOME GENERATOR
- RUNNING COST OF A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE
- COST OF BUYING OR SELLING A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
- LICENCE COMPLIANCE AUDIT – A MUST
WHY IS A LIQUOR LICENCE IMPORTANT FOR LIQUOR / BOTTLE STORE?
It’s obvious, isn’t it? No liquor licence = no online liquor store! That’s why a liquor licence is the main and most important asset of a online liquor store.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE?
You can sell all kinds of liquor in a online liquor store directly to the public. Remember, they aren't allowed to open the bottle and drink it in the online liquor store. You have to take it away with you and you can then enjoy your liquor at home, take it to a restaurant or party or wherever it is legal to drink.
DIFFERENT KINDS OF ONLINE LIQUOR STORES
Online liquor stores can be found in all sizes and locations. The basic options are the following :
- Franchise online liquor store. You buy into a franchise group, such as OK Liquor, Tops@Spar and Liquor City. The main advantages are that you get -
- a proven, successful business model and
- better prices due to the buying power of the franchise group.
- Independently owned online liquor store. You are your own boss and have the power to decide how you would like to manage every aspect of your business.
- Stand alone – your online liquor store is contained in its own property, not connected to other shops.
- Drive-through – your client stops in his/her car, pays and receives the liquor ordered a window, just like any drive-through fast food outlet.
- Shopping centre – the online liquor store shares parking, toilets, security and other services with a large mix of other businesses
ONLINE LIQUOR STORE TARGET MARKET
The target market of a online liquor store really is anyone over the legal drinking age.
A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE AS AN INCOME GENERATOR
A online liquor store licence can be an excellent income generator, as it is versatile and allows you to sell liquor in a number of ways -
- on the shopping floor inside your shop,
- deliver on order, as well as
- through an online e-commerce online liquor store.
To discuss additional options, don’t hesitate to Contact Us
RUNNING COST OF A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE
A online liquor store’s running cost is relatively inflexible and stable. Rent, staff salaries, insurance, advertising, security covers 90% of overheads. The great thing therefore is that overheads costs are very predictable with little or no unpleasant surprises, making planning extremely easy, as well as keeping to a budget.
COST OF BUYING A ONLINE LIQUOR STORE LICENCE
Good news. There’s a online liquor store to be found for everyone’s budget. The asking price is usually directly related to its –
- turnover (total value of all sales), and/or
- nett profit (what you take home)
Depending on your personal circumstances and budget, you may want to buy a boutique wine store or start a large online liquor store. Contact Us – we’ll refer you to reputable business broker in your area.
LICENCE COMPLIANCE AUDIT – NON NEGOTIABLE
All licence holders – those with a licence or those thinking about applying for a liquor licence – must have a Licence Compliance Audit done. Why? Apart from being very convenient, it gives -
- a clear picture of the requirements to get a liquor licence and
- clear guidelines on how to keep a liquor licence valid.
More importantly – getting up to date licensing information is the best way of ensuring you won’t be fined or face legal action. Talk to Us about checking if a licence is valid and compliant. You cannot afford not to! – customized for your business and premises.